banana oat bread
i had 6 bananas that needed a home. so i decided to make banana bread. i honestly don't bake much - but i had a bunch of gluten free flour staring at me. i also have approx. 25 of eggs from a family friend which makes me so happy. i love knowing the chickens. so i decided to go for it and make it as healthy as possible. reviews are in and i think it was a success. 🤗
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/3 cup coconut oil (mine is currently melted because its summer but melt if you need)
- 2 eggs*
- 3 mashed super ripe bananas
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup whole wheat flour*
- 3/4 cup oats
- option to add 1/2 cup nuts or chocolate chips - i added ghirardelli dark chocolate chunks to this one
- jacobsen's vanilla bean flake salt for the top
*to make vegan you can swap out the honey for 1/4 cup brown sugar and 1/4 white sugar or 1/2 cup maple syrup. then replace the eggs with flax eggs (1 tbsp flax and 3 tbsp water per egg, mixed) or aquafaba (3 tbsp canned chickpea liquid per egg)
*to make gluten free, i used 1/2 cup garbanzo bean flour and 1/2 cup brown rice flour with 1 tsp of psyllium husk powder. you could also use a gluten free baking mix.
- preheat the oven to 325 and prep the pan you're using. i used 4 1/2 in. super cute and oven safe paper mini loaf pans so i didn't have to grease anything but you could also use a 9 x 5 in. pan greased.
- in a large bowl, mix together your honey and coconut oil. to make it mix-able both should be melted. i put the honey in the microwave for 20 seconds and since it's summer the coconut oil already was. once that is mixed, mix in your eggs or egg replacement. once that is all combined add in your water and mashed bananas.
- now mix in all the spices and cooking agents. that's the baking soda, vanilla, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. after that is mixed in, fold in your oats and flour. it can be a bit lumpy but make sure it's fully combined. now fold in nuts or chocolate.
- you can now transfer to your baking dish. fill to 3/4. i sprinkled a bit of jacobsen's vanilla bean flake salt on top to bring out the flavors even more.
- transfer into the oven and bake for 50 minute is using a large loaf pan or 35 if using the minis. take out and let sit for 20 minutes before cutting into the bread
the bread will stay for a few days at room temp so i like to keep it in the fridge. it's super yummy sliced for breakfast and smeared with a bit of almond butter. enjoy!